Friday, June 21, 2013

Digging Into Infinity: Monsters and Magic Old School Fantasy New School Play - Adam Minnie

"One of the main things I like about M&M is that it’s designed specifically for backward compatibility to honor and re-employ classic materials from older versions. I have two local groups, one that loves 3.x and one preferring 4e. Although neither of these versions are technically ‘classic,’ I believe M&M finally allows both groups to play together, retaining and enhancing what they love about each edition, while retaining what I love about more modern ‘new wave’ games. In a review at SF Signal, Paul Weimer says, ”Monsters and Magic, rather than just being just a straight clone, has some innovations of its own, and ideas from much more modern games.” (Roll Perception Plus Awareness: Monsters and Magic and the Old School Renaissance) I particularly enjoy the M&M game concepts that allude to ideas in Fate, Dungeon World, Reign, Mouse Guard and others. Furthermore M&M’s core system, the Effect Engine is a manifestation of exactly what I wanted to implement in my 4e campaign last year." 4.5 out of 5 http://exploring-infinity.com/2013/06/18/digging-into-infinity-monsters-magic-old-school-fantasy-new-school-play/

0 comments: