Monday, May 06, 2013

Clash of the Titans - Mark Evanier

"For someone like Infantino when an artist was all he was, it was not a question of, "Gee, maybe if I do my job better, I can get rich." Oh, if only it had been that. All the comic artists I’m mentioning here were men who did their job about as well as anyone could. Doing it better, if that was even possible, would not lead to better paychecks or more security. Harvey Kurtzman, speaking once about his superlative work creating MAD said, "I know what I did had a value far beyond what I was paid at the time. What I don’t know is how to get my reward." It’s a problem they all faced. Jack Kirby used to say that the guys who didn’t do great, profitable work in comics were probably happier in their jobs than those that did. It wasn’t that difficult for even a mediocre artist in comics to get the meager top pay. It was impossible for the best guys to get much more than that…or the kind of financial security you get when you’re among the best guys in almost any other field." 3.5 out of 5 http://www.newsfromme.com/2013/05/05/clash-of-the-titans-2/

0 comments: