Thursday, January 17, 2013

From the Archives - Julian May

"I kept filling the folder. I was bored with the SF of the late 1970s: one gloom-and-doom vision after another. Who needed it, with the real world in the state it was in? Readers, I felt, were ready for something completely different. I brooded over folkloric themes, the Norse sagas, the Arthurian legend, the Irish and Germanic faerie kingdoms, Tolkien and his modern fantasy treatment of classic mythopoeic themes. And the old-fashioned word processor said: time-travel. I took sophisticated humans from a Galactic Milieu through a time-gate and dropped them in the midst of barbarian mind-wars. And it worked. I constructed a multilayered, massive novel with four parts. On the surface it was a rousing adventure in the colourful Pliocene of western Europe, six million years ago. Below that I could indulge in character creation to my heart’s content, archetypal characters full of courage and humour and earthy sex and archaic violence. The result was the Saga of Pliocene Exile." 4 out of 5 http://torbooks.co.uk/2013/01/16/from-the-archives-interview-with-julian-may/

0 comments: