Monday, November 19, 2012

Author Spotlight - Kelsey Ann Barrett

"Your story, “My Teacher, My Enemy,” features strong, horrific violence. What was the inspiration? This story arose out of my interest in the Algonquin myth of the Windigo. I’ve heard different versions, but the basic idea is that people who resort to cannibalism become these amazing super-powered but cursed creatures. The idea of losing your humanity through the acquisition of greater-than-human power is a fascinating idea, especially when I began coupling it with other cannibalistic mythos, such as the old “eat your enemy’s heart to gain his strength” trope. I played with the idea for a while and gave it my own spin by leaning away from cannibalism and creating this idea of fashioning a sort of organic armor from the bodies of slain opponents. Then I constructed a world where such actions were not only accepted but desirable; I wanted it to be striking when the main character questioned her societal norms, despite how extreme and terrible they obviously are to us." 3.5 out of 5 http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/nonfiction/author-spotlight-kelsey-ann-barrett/

0 comments: