Saturday, August 04, 2012

Q & A With - Neal Asher

"I did take a risk with Cowl and, when I delivered it, an editor’s response to someone else was: ‘We might have made a mistake here’, whereupon that book went on to be shortlisted for the Philip K Dick award. I took a risk writing Orbus in present tense, and that polarized opinion with some hating it and some thinking it my best book to date. 

So, I departed with The Departure (the first book of the Owner series) because I did not want to be trapped in the Polity forever. I took this risk because I didn’t want to become stale. I’ve opened up another option, another future in which to set books because I’m here to stay and intend to keep on writing books until they nail me into a coffin. I suspect that most of those Polity fans who may dislike this book are not going to dump me at once. Maybe they won’t buy or read the next two books in this trilogy (which would be a shame because it gets a lot more sfnal), but they’ll probably pick up the next Polity book I produce (which I’m thinking of calling Penny Royal – I may have ‘departed’ but that doesn’t mean I’m never coming back to the Polity). Meanwhile, this book is attracting new people to my stuff, and it’s expanding my market, since many of those new people will go on to try my previous books." 4 out of 5 http://www.welovethisbook.com/features/qa-neal-asher?page=4

0 comments: