Saturday, July 07, 2012

How Propeller-Heads BNFs Sercon Geeks Newbies Recovering GAFIAtors and Kids in the Basements Invented the World Wide Web All Except for the Delivery System - Roger Ebert

"In grade school I had a paper route, and one of the homes where I threw the Champaign-Urbana Courier was a tarpaper wartime housing unit occupied by two University of Illinois students from Poland and their mother. When I came around to collect (20 cents a week), they’d invite me in and quiz me, perhaps because I was an odd and talkative kid who amused them. They read science fiction, and when they moved out at the end of the school year they gave me a big cardboard carton filled with old issues of Astounding Science Fiction–old even then, from the 1940s, with names like A.E. van Vogt, Robert Heinlein, and L. Ron Hubbard on the covers. For a time they sat in the basement, to be taken up, looked at," 3.5 out of 5 http://www.asimovs.com/_issue_0501/thoughtexperiments.shtml/

0 comments: