Monday, April 02, 2012

Geek's Guide to the Galaxy Interview - Chuck Pahlaniuk

"Speaking of Fight Club, there’s an interesting story you tell on the DVD commentary about Marla’s famous line . . . ?

When I wrote the scene where Tyler and Marla wake up together, my first thought was, “What is the most romantic thing that Marla could say, the most sentimental thing?” And that would be “I want to have your baby.” And so, being Marla, she had to say the opposite. So it was just by formula, she had to say, “I want to have your abortion.” So that’s what went into the book. But everyone hated that line. Even Brad Pitt came to the producers and said, “My mother is going to see this movie, and my mother is going to be so offended by that line.” So everyone wanted to change it, and they floated a lot of different versions, and I think Fincher finally came up with “I haven’t been fucked like that since grade school.” And when he shot it that way, Laura Ziskin, the producer, went nuts and said, “Change it back, for the love of god.” And Fincher was so thrilled that he had come up with something worse that that’s what he went with."


4 out of 5

http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/nonfiction/feature-interview-chuck-palahniuk/

0 comments: