Monday, April 18, 2011

The Stars My Destination - Alfred Bester

"He lived in the only airtight room left intact in the wreck, a tool locker off the main-deck corridor. The locker was four feet wide, four feet deep, and nine feet high. It was the size of a giant's coffin. Six hundred years before, it had been judged the most exquisite Oriental torture to imprison a man in a cage that size for a few weeks. Yet Foyle had existed in this lightless coffin for five months, twenty days, and four hours.

*

"Who are you?"
"Gully Foyle is my name."
"Where are you from?"
"Terra is my nation."
"Where are you now?"
"Deep space is my dwelling place."
"Where are you bound?"
"Death's my destination.""


4.5 out of 5

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/18/135354862/outer-space-awaits-a-sci-fi-escape-to-the-stars?ft=1&f=1032

0 comments: