Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Desert of Souls 1 - Howard Andrew Jones

"“We are not afraid,” Jaffar said.

Perhaps he was not; I covertly made the sign warding against evil, hiding it behind my thigh.

She paused a moment more, staring into his eyes. “You have paid the price,” she spoke without sentiment, “and I will honor your coin with my service.”

She motioned to the boy, who brought forth short red candles, which she lit. They gave off but little smoke. She then presented us with parchment, one small square each, of a peculiar wrinkled texture.

“What manner of paper is this?” Dabir asked.

“It is fashioned from the skin of Egyptian cats,” she said, whereupon my master fell to examining his own paper more closely. In truth it did not look to me to be animal skin, but I said nothing."


3 out of 5

http://www.howardandrewjones.com/writing/desert-of-souls-available-february-15th#more-83

0 comments: