Sunday, February 06, 2011

Genesis I - Paul Chafe

""I'm not talking about embryos, I'm talking about people. Not a seedship but a colony ship."

Michaud snorted. "You can't be serious."

"I'm quite serious; I've looked at the problem from every angle. You're right about radiation flux, and there are other problems, like braking at the far end, like somehow raising a bunch of embryos into a competent colonization team. Seedships are an impossible dream."

"And somehow sending a person isn't? Say your ship weighs a thousand metric tonnes, which is ridiculously conservative." Michaud looked away for a second while he ran the numbers in his head. "There wouldn't be enough energy in the world to launch that even to Alpha Centauri within a human lifetime."

"Think larger. The ship will weigh one billion tonnes.""


http://www.webscription.net/chapters/1416555099/1416555099.htm

0 comments: